Category: Parenting Tips
Date: 22 May 18
The skin of your newborn is tender and sensitive, extra care and protection are required to maintain healthy skin the way it is. New parents are often concerned about the fragile and gentle skin and it is understandable because the lack of proper care may lead to rashes, allergies or drying.
Baby products must be chosen carefully in order to protect the skin from any chemical additives. The need for intensive care of baby skin may be attributed to the following reasons:
- The thinness and fragility of the skin
- The time required by the newborn skin to adjust to new surroundings.
- It is subjected to a lot of hostility that includes chemical products, pollution, wetness due to urination etc.
- The possibility of skin allergies for the first few months
The following ways ensure optimum skin health for your little cotton ball for a human has the best skin when they are a baby and proper skin care during infancy can ensure good skin throughout the life:
1.Bath care:While a child does not require to take a bath every day and a bath every alternate day is just fine but multiple reasons such as vomiting, hot weather etc may compel parents to give a bath every day. You must keep in mind that the soap and shampoo that you use must be mild and the ph formulation should be according to the tender skin of the baby. Do not go overboard with fancy products on the shelves; natural products do just fine. The water must not be too hot or cold, lukewarm is ideal. Once you bring the baby out to dress them, the room must be warm and all fans and coolers must be switched off. Make sure that you use a soft towel to prevent scratching the baby.
2. Powdering:That mild and beautiful fragrance may tempt you to use powder on your baby but exercise utmost care while choosing a powder. It may cause drying of the skin of the baby. Fragranced powders must be avoided altogether as they may cause irritation. Avoid powder in the diaper area to avoid future infections.
3. Skin friendly diapering:One must make sure that a baby must not stay for long in a soiled diaper to avoid skin rashes. Coconut oil or diaper rash cream must be applied during every diaper change. Some gel diapers may also cause irritation, trying another brand may be a good idea as different stuff suits different babies. Wipes used for cleaning the baby must be non-fragranced and while they are quite handy, avoiding them can be wonderful for the skin of your little one. A cotton swab dipped in warm water will do just the same job without drying out the skin.
If you suspect a diaper rash to have been there for long, consult a pediatrician to rule out the possibility of an infection.
4. Common Skin Problems:Do not give into claims of big companies and quacks to remove birthmarks on your baby as they are absolutely harmless.
A red, itchy rash on the face, elbow, behind knees or arms may indicate eczema. Medical advice and use of mild soaps and moisturizer are recommended if eczema is confirmed.
Infant acne is normal and you must just leave it alone. In case it gets chronic, visits your doctor.
5. Dry Skin:
- A natural moisturizer works well to do the job if your baby has dry skin. A natural oil like coconut or olive is known to work best.
- Do not overuse soaps and shampoos as it will snatch the vital nutrients from the tender skin hence leaving it dull and dry.
- The first month may be sailed through with a sponge bath every day to avoid dull and dry skin,
6. General Tips for Baby Skin Care:
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight for at least 6 months of age. They should be protected by hats and long sleeve tops. Use of a sunscreen is also advisable. Coconut oil acts as a good natural sunscreen.
- Wash all new outfits before making the baby wear them in order to protect the skin from dyes and chemicals from the store and factory.
- Dress them light if the climate is too hot.
- Use natural products for skin care and do not get carried away by advertisements
Your little munchkin needs the maximum care, a little focus on the points above and you are good to go with a healthy regime for baby skin.