Category: Parenting Tips
Date: 22 May 18
Are you a new parent? Are you having a tough time with comforting a fussy baby? Are you facing sleepless nights? A cranky baby can definitely wreck your peace.It is mesmerizing when they cry for the first time, for it marks the advent of new life into your world but it doesn’t stay as pleasant when they go on crying and you fail to understand the cause. The inability to comfort them becomes frustrating for the new parents. It is very important to understand the reason for the fuss before trying to calm the baby.
In this article, we will try to understand some of the common reasons why babies cry and tips to deal with them. Your baby has suddenly entered a new world and everything is new for him. He has stepped into a cold world and left the warmth of the womb behind. All babies take some time to adjust to the new world.
The most common causes for a cranky baby are as below:
1: Gas:One of the most common problems that newborns are faced with is gas because they take in air while feeding on the breast or bottle. Burping is hence very important to relieve them from gas after every feeding session. Discomfort may be caused in tummy if they fail to burp.
If you observe that they are suffering from gas, the following steps must be followed to comfort them:
- Rub the baby’s back while laying them gently on stomach over your legs.
- Bicycle exercise with their legs while laying them on their back
- If nothing seems to soothe them try medicinal drops for gas relief as advised by the pediatrician.
2. Colic:If your baby goes on crying for elongated periods of a particular time in a day every day, they may be colicky. While the exact reason for colic still remains a mystery, it may be attributed to various causes such as an immature digestive system, reflux etc. It is a condition that affects 1/5th of the babies and they cry for 3 or more hours every day. The good news, however, is that this doesn’t last for long and subsides in three months or so. You could offer colic relief to your child by cradling them back and forth, swinging them or offering colic medication as advised by your doctor.
3. Naturally fussy:Fussiness and fidgety attitude come naturally to some kids. While there is nothing much that can be done about it, all you need to do is relax and be patient. Gentle parenting and ensuring their comfort at all times is the best you can do. It is advisable to keep a strong check on your temper and soothe them despite the crankiness. The best approach that can have you sail this difficult phase is thinking that the baby won’t be this young for too long and this too shall pass.
4. Hunger Cues:Hunger is one of the most common reasons for the fuss that your baby puts you through. The little tummy empties itself very quickly upon urination especially if the baby is breastfed. If you suspect that a lot of time has elapsed since they last fed offer them milk. You may also note feed timings in order to get an idea and stay updated with a schedule. Babies may want to feed for reasons other than hunger including comfort and they must always be fed on demand.
5. Wet Diaper:One of the initial checks that you must perform if the baby is fussy is checking their diaper. A wet diaper is pretty uncomfortable for the little one. It may also cause a rash that may be making the baby uncomfortable. Whether you use cloth diapers or disposable ones, it is advisable to change them every 2-3 hours even if they are clean in order to prevent bacterial growth, rashes, and discomfort.
Babies are little humans who can communicate their discomfort only through crying. Deal with them with patience. While this is a phase difficult for you, you are going to miss it when they grow up and don’t depend on you as much. You can read about the common ways to soothe your baby here.